Seychelles Environment Levy: New Tourism Tax Effects Visitors
As of the 01 August 2023, the Seychelles Government has imposed a daily 'Environment Levy' on all visitors to Seychelles. This new 'tourism tax,' as it has been nicknamed, aims to raise funds to mitigate the environmental impact that the rising tourism sector has on the country.
The levy, has three applicable rates:
- For establishments with 1 to 24 rooms, the rate stands at SCR25 ($2) per person per night.
- For medium-sized establishments with 25 to 50 rooms, the rate stands at SCR75 ($6) per person per night
- Large establishments with over 51 rooms, yachts, and island resorts – SCR100 ($8) per person per night.
The fees will be collected by the establishments providing the accommodation on the government's behalf.
Those exempt from paying the fees are:
- Seychellois Citizens
- Seychellois Residents
- Children Under 12
- Crew members of yachts and planes
The primary aim of the Seychelles’ Tourism Environmental Sustainability Levy is to support environmental conservation and rehabilitation initiatives. By directing the proceeds from this levy towards the environment, Seychelles seeks to further protect and enhance the natural environment that draws thousands of visitors each year.
Over SCR85 million ($6.3 million) is expected to be collected through the new levy for the period August 1 to December 31, according to a government official.
We hope that you have found this article on the new Seychelles Environment Levy useful when planning your trip to Seychelles, reminding you to calculate your daily cost per/night per/ person when budgeting your holiday in our beautiful archipelago. You can read the official statement by the Seychelles Tourism Department regarding the new Seychelles Environment Levy here
Take a Look Around
If you are planning a holiday or sailing trip to Seychelles, you'll find plenty more advice and resources on our website. So feel free to take a look around . . .
- Discover our Marina and its offerings: click here.
- Explore all the Amenities available when you berth with us: click here.
- Learn more about destination Seychelles: click here.
- Get NB advice and info for sailors: click here.
- Get the latest Eden Island Marina news: click here.
- View all articles on our Blog: click here.
- Make a booking: click here.
- Ask us a question or leave feedback: click here.